Moments of Perfection…Almost

Community / Ordinary Life / Work and Rest

Have you ever experienced this? Occasionally something occurs which seems to carry not a single flaw. Amidst all the brokenness of life an oasis…

Loving the Rich (and Us)

Community / Faith / Spirituality

An All Too Common Story “Tom” is a doting father of four kids: 3 boys and one infant daughter. (When Tom’s daughter reaches dating…

Material Boy: On Artifacts, Discernment, and Elites

Community / Discernment / Pluralistic World

Andy Crouch’s Culture Making, is an important book written by an insightful writer. It warrants wide discussion. It is also strangely troubling. Perhaps this…

Listening Before Writing

Community / Work and Rest

I have a new journal, creamy white lined pages in a black moleskin cover with an elastic band that holds it closed. A much…

A Faithful, Messy Purity

Community / Faith / Spirituality

There is a difference between keeping ourselves pure, and keeping ourselves aloof from a broken reality. It’s a huge difference. The first is courageous;…

Using Words to Wound Instead of Heal

Community / Family / Maturity and Flourishing

It is not an enemy who taunts me— then I could bear it; it is not an adversary who deals insolently with me— then…

To Be Where You Are

Community / Creation / Family / Ordinary Life

Spring was cancer season for friends. (You might want to cancel friendship with us.) When Kosmo (Carol Kosmicke) began to experience little seizures and…

Youth Culture and Growing Up

Community / Faith / Family / Maturity and Flourishing / Pluralistic World

It is impossible to think about “growing up” in modern America without considering the role of the “youth culture” which every young person—even those…

Homosexuality: Speaking the Truth in Love

Community / Creation / Family / Hospitality / Pluralistic World / Spirituality

There are few issues that have generated more political heat and extreme rhetoric, more anger and hatred, confusion and pain, than the issue of…