A Conversation About Ferguson

Community / Culture / Safe Place / Spirituality

Introduction Meet Greg Pitchford and Luke Bobo. Luke is a 55 year-old African-American male and Greg is a 51 year-old White-American male. Luke lives…

Welcoming strangers

Community / Hospitality

“Cain went away,” we are told in the opening pages of scripture, fracturing the human race into “us” and “strangers” (Genesis 4:16). The division…

Spring, please come

Community / Family / Ordinary Life

We live in a climate where the seasons are sharp. There is no mistaking them. Winter freezes everything including our senses; but they waken…

A Gentle Madness

Community / Family / Hospitality / Maturity and Flourishing / Ordinary Life / Work and Rest

“People have always collected things. Whether a vestige of our hunter-gatherer days, a need to forge order amid chaos, or a simple desire to…

The Sorrow and Hope of Homeschooling

Community / Family / Spirituality

I’ve been reading biographical sketches of Christian women who lived in the late Roman Empire. A theme the sketches have in common is rejection:…

Wooden Clocks and Tiny Silver Balls

Community / Family / Hospitality / Ordinary Life / Work and Rest

When I grew up and moved away I rarely saw them. But in December of every year I especially remember my grandparents. Each December…

Who Brings Home the Bacon?

Community / Faith / Family / Work and Rest

In the current tug-o-war about gender responsibilities in Christian marriages, many couples have the challenge of deciding who “brings home the bacon.” The tension…

With Godzilla in the City

Community / Faith / Ordinary Life / Spirituality

Driving through a section of Guatemala City for the five hundredth time, a strange tape played through my mind. Godzilla was trampling Tokyo, simultaneously…

Wings Not Walls

Community / Pluralistic World

Bulwarks of safety Walls have been in the news. At various places along America’s southern border the U.S. government is erecting a border fence…

Media Bias and Nurturing Wisdom

Community / Discernment / Maturity and Flourishing / Spirituality

In his landmark film series, How Should We Then Live? Francis Schaeffer presented his audience with a frightening image of the manipulative power of…